Friday, January 7, 2011

The times they are a changin'...

Bob Dylan said it pretty well. Okay, so maybe I'm not talking about poverty and social change, but my times are a changin'. My world has completely transformed in the last couple months, which is both exciting and terrifying rolled into one. I have a love-hate relationship with change--I absolutely crave new places and new experiences---but it also terrifies me.

Things started changing over a year ago when I decided to graduate early in December 2010 instead of my regular graduation date of May 2011. It was one of those things that was never planned and sort of just happened after a meeting with my advisor. Fast forward to this past fall semester and my college career was slowing down and I needed to decide what I wanted to do next. I went into the job hunt with a very open mind and positive attitude while still trying to remain realistic. During this time, I felt like all the conversations concerning my job search including the following topics: a bad economy, lack of jobs, jobs for ENGLISH MAJORS?!, moving back in with my parents, "really, there are no jobs"...I think you get the point. While I had many incredibly supportive people in my life, I also felt some people were waiting to watch the English major settle for a job at Taco Bell after graduation. 

With my stubborn attitude in tow, I treated job hunting/post-grad-opportunity-searching as another job. (I love to write, but I could never write a cover letter again and be all right with it.) By early November, I was settling in to the idea that this just wasn't my time and I'd go home, save up some money for a while, and figure out my plans from there. So on the last day of November when I was offered a full-time, paid fellowship in Washington, D.C. I was beyond ECSTATIC. I'll be working as a communications fellow at The Partnership for Public Service right in downtown DC (New York Ave!). 

Needless to say, December was my best month of 2010. In about one month's time, I was offered this position with the Partnership, found an apartment, graduated from college, traveled to Spain and Portugal with my brother, and moved to DC! It has been an incredibly exciting whirlwind, but I am also looking forward to settling into a comfortable life here without so many changes all at once :) 

So here I am: a Friday morning in January and I'm hanging out in my amazing new apartment with a great roommate right in the heart of DC! If I walk out of my building and look down the street in the distance, the White House is nestled right in the center view--I love it! I am so excited to be here I just can't stand it. I have always wanted to live in a city (especially DC) for so long. It's something I've always daydreamed about, so to be living my dream is completely surreal. 

I've got the rest of the weekend to explore DC before I start work bright and early Monday morning. Here's to not looking too touristy with my DC map walking around today...

P.S. I'm hoping to post some pics of my new digs (yep, I said "digs") very, very soon.

2 comments:

  1. "which is both exciting and terrifying rolled into one"
    Sounds oh-so-familiar. Almost like freshman move-in day.
    Love you Bee! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete