Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Time to Work, Work, Work

"If you are serious about your goals, drop the conditions. Go directly to your goal. Be your goal! Why not just take charge and create the experience you are looking for?" (Eric Allenbaugh)


I love this quote because it defines exactly how I felt as I trekked in the freezing DC early morning yesterday to my first day of work at the Partnership for Public Service. I felt like I have worked so hard to come to this moment where I am. Finally, the endless hours of staying up late writing papers, studying, internships, GPAS...EVERYTHING...all culminated to yesterday. It's funny how you spend so much time in college "preparing" for the real world, and then suddenly it's like you're dropped there on a busy street at 7 a.m. and you can't believe you're finally there. 


A first day of anything--internships, summer jobs--make me nervous, but I think I felt a completely new sense of anxiety this time around. Not only have I given up a lot and made so many changes to be here in DC for this opportunity, but this isn't the after-school job or part-time internship, this is my 5 day/40 hours a week opportunity, and I had absolutely no idea what I was walking into. 


(Note: this next paragraph includes a heinous amount of detail and embarrassing giddy excitement over trivial aspects of my first day, so read on with a forewarning duly noted.) 


I had to be in at 8 a.m., so I left my apartment excessively early in case the metro was late/the walk took longer/etc. My office is in the historic Greyhound building downtown on New York Avenue (see a pic here) I have to say one of my favorite parts of the day was walking into my building and waiting at the elevator in my trench coat and heels alongside all of the well-dressed businessmen clad in expensive suits and black leather briefcases (and thinking: hey, I work here too!) 


My office is on the 10th floor and has an incredible view! I was impressed by the office right off the bat--very modern and hip. I met some of the other fellows and was briefed on using my computer and its program as well as the phone system. (Is it sad I was excited to have my own direct phone line?) 


We had an office-wide staff meeting (about 90ish people there altogether). I spent the day meeting tons of people, learning the ropes, lunching with my supervisor, and just getting acquainted in general. I think my favorite thing about the Partnership so far is how incredible the people are! Seriously. Not only are they all super friendly and welcoming, but I was impressed by their backgrounds, intelligence, and clear passion for what they do. I'm so excited to work in such a positive, creative environment where you are valued as a worker and encouraged to set high goals for yourself and take advantage of the many opportunities and experiences offered. 


Last night I was exhausted after adjusting to the "work world" schedule very different to my flexible college schedule where I was running to different classes, jobs, etc. throughout the day. I love the "grown-up work world" for many reasons though:
  • Having my own workspace. There is just something to having your own little minicubicle with your own computer and all of your own stuff around it. A lot of people are turned off by being at a desk for the good majority of their day, but there's something about it I really like. 
  • Office clothing. If you know me, you know I love clothes, and I love the opportunity to wear little heels and a cute top. (Don't judge.)
  • Office mates. I love having people to chat with all throughout the day. Makes it more fun. 
  • Working on your own time. In college (and way back when in school), you're constantly under others' time, like your professors. You can only eat during this time because you have class the rest of the afternoon, and you can't text in this class because your professor won't allow it. In comparison, I like the trust and independence you are given while working. No one cares if you eat a quick snack while you're working, and (for the most part) can work at your own pace. 
  • SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST: no homework to come home to! I can't tell you how awesome it is to finish your day at 6 pm, and really be finished. For the last couple years I've been in an environment where you may finish class and work, but you still have a paper, reading, and a project to work on when you get home. I have to say one of my favorite things is coming home after work and have the opportunity to kick back and relax. 
Speaking of kicking back, I think I might just go and do that...

P.S. We finally got some snow here in DC, but nothing compared to those good ole' Boone blizzards. :) 

2 comments:

  1. I love sitting at a desk too, although I don't get to have picture frames and what not sitting on my desk, because we're not allowed to :( But I love wearing dress pants and cute flats to work. Take some fun dc pics for me! So glad those people love you, how couldn't they!
    Stay cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoroughly enjoying your blog! Sounds as if you're in a great environment with wonderful people. I'd imagine your zest for life has something to do with your overall satisfaction, too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete